If you see or smell mold in your home, it needs to be taken care of immediately. So many people grow accustomed to the smell of a musty basement because it’s what they grew up with as a child. While some musty or dusty smells can be harmless, it is still worth looking for problems.
Mildew and Musty Smells are Caused by Mold
The truth is if anyone would have opened the walls of many of those nostalgic homes, they would have found mold. It’s not normal to have stale smells wafting through the home. Plus, mold can pose a severe health risk.
Mold is the archenemy of homeowners across the globe. It can eat away at the walls and floors in your home and do structural damage. Additionally, it can make you ill. While not all unusual or strong smells carry such dangers, it is always worth checking out. Especially since it can also reveal other structural issues with your home.
What should you do if you find mold in your home? Well, here are a few steps to follow.
Scrub the Area
The first thing you can do when you see mold is to grab some gloves and a spray bottle with a bleach solution. Scrubbing the mold is acceptable if it’s not an enormous area.
The key to scrubbing things is to make sure you have personal protective gear, and the room is well ventilated. You should keep in mind that just wiping the mold away won’t take care of the issue. It will help clean the atmosphere in your abode, but the problem must be fixed.
Call for Help
The best thing to do for mold is to leave it in the hands of the professionals. Find a licensed company that handles this type of issue. Most will need to assess the damages in person and cannot give estimates over the phone.
Mold remediation uses safe and effective ways to treat the mold, and they can repair the damages too. A professional knows how to do things properly to avoid the toxic spores spreading throughout your home. They will know how to prevent the moisture from getting trapped, thereby causing more mold. Scrubbing it with bleach won’t provide much protection.
Be Wary of Those with Breathing Problems
If anyone in the home has breathing issues such as asthma or COPD, they shouldn’t be in the house until it’s fixed. This is also the standard rule for those experiencing headaches and coughing or displaying with sinus congestion.
Technically, no one should be in the home until the remediation is complete, but it depends on the size of the problem. Erring on the side of caution is usually the best thing to do in this case. Mold is nothing to mess around with, especially in your home. It can cost thousands of dollars in damage and affect your health. It’s best to call for professional help at first sight of the toxic spores. With a little work and maybe some repairs, everything should get back to normal.
- Spending Too Much Time at Home? 4 Ways to Upgrade It to Be More Livable - February 23, 2021
- How To Support Loved Ones With an Eating Disorder - February 17, 2021
- On the Road: How To Find the Right Car for Your Needs and Budget - January 24, 2021