Top Signs You Have Mold in Your Home



Sometimes people receive signs that mold is in the home but merely throw out a towel, light candles with incredible scents, or place cleaning powders on the floors and vacuum over the damp areas. However, these are often warning signs that fungus is in your home and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Failing to remove the mold could lead to costly renovation expenses or dangerous medical conditions.

Regular Coughing

Most people confuse a cough with a high pollen count during the spring months or a minor virus infection during the winter. However, persistent coughing could be due to fungus inside the home. The small size of the mold spores makes it easy for them to dislodge and become airborne issues. As a result, you, your spouse, children, roommates, or guests can inhale the spores, which typically irritates the nasal passages and throat. Once this happens, coughing can occur and become persistent. If you notice the coughing around the home, it would be a good idea to check for mold. This is especially applicable if there is no known medical condition that would cause this.

Carpet Discoloration

Fungus can proliferate in damp places, including the carpet throughout a home. Emergency water damage restoration is necessary because as easily as carpet mold develops, it can spread just as quickly. Therefore, early on, handling the problem could lower the odds of costly flooring renovation and various health problems. It is best to replace your carpet regularly, as its age puts it at risk of developing mold. Some signs that your carpet contains fungus are its discoloration, residents’ breathing problems, and moisture.

Musty Odors in the Air

The rotten smells inside a home are often due to mold. The fungus odor is caused by the hodgepodge produced and released into the air. The rotting and sourness developed also lead to mustiness and can be unbearable. Fungus often follows moisture and water problems in the home and can cause musty odors. In these instances, it’s best to take advantage of emergency water damage restoration services to find out the issues and solve them quickly. Remember that spraying an air freshener is not the solution; you need to have the mold checked and removed to alleviate the rotten smells and reduce the risk of more significant problems.

Furniture Fungus

Fungus on the walls, excessive humidity, and odors are often signs of mold in the house. Placing a dresser up against the wall often causes it to be the first hiding spot for fungus compared to other pieces of furniture. Items that are placed or stored in rooms with restricted airflow lead to the formation of condensation, which causes mold to grow. However, keeping the bedrooms, kitchen, and bathrooms well-ventilated could reduce the risk of fungus growth. It would also be a good idea to regularly rearrange the furniture and clean décor items as often as possible.

Mold is a problem that can easily get out of control if not treated in a timely manner. If you notice any leaks, signs of water damage, or signs of mold in general, contact a restoration expert as soon as possible. This will ensure that you protect the valuable investment that is your home.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *